Friday, December 26, 2008

Twists

In the past couple of months, I have become quite well acquainted with the concept behind the popular saying "Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans." I have also recognized the reality of the cliche (yet very true) saying that "Whenever God closes a door, somewhere he opens a window." I think that many doors which are closed (this one included) have very little to do with God, but rather with human agency; however, I won't get into any deep philosophical discussions today... Anyway, my point is that although part of me is dead, empty, and gone forever (not to be dramatic or anything), another part of me is in the process of awakening. This is a direct result of what seemed to me to be the end of my happiness. I found the strength within me that I never knew existed. New opportunities are now presenting themselves to me, and I keep discovering that life is full and rich and beautiful. Sadness and loss is a crucial part of growing. The other day my family was talking about "the hero's journey" and how we are all on our own hero's journeys. I really like that. From mythology and great literature, we see this repeating pattern: It is the trials, the constant struggles, and the fights they go into not knowing if they'll win, that mold them into heroes. (Hercules, Frodo Baggins, Harry Potter, Don Quixote, Jean Valjean to name a few.) No one exceptional lived a life free from affliction, and often the most exceptional people are the ones with the greatest trials. Although I don't hope to be the next Rosa Parks, I do feel that I'm on my own hero's journey. And who knows where the roads will take me? I choose my own path, and that is a wonderful feeling.

0 comments:


Free Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com and Cars Pictures. Powered by Blogger